How to Repair a Solid Surface Bathtub in 2023 - Important Tips
Are you looking for a solution to fix your solid surface bathtub? Solid surface bathtubs are the coolest because they are long-lasting and simple to maintain. They are also the best bathtub to relax and relieve tension after a long day. Unfortunately, they may be risky after prolonged use due to damage and scratches. Luckily, you can fix your solid surface bathtub and restore its appearance by following a few easy procedures.
In this article, we will see a short introduction about solid surface bathtubs and some simple steps to repair a solid surface bathtub.
What Is a Solid Surface Bathtub?
A solid surface is an artificial synthetic material composed of a blend of natural minerals, synthetics, and plant-based resins. The mixture is poured and molded into different sizes and shapes.
People nowadays prefer solid surface bathtubs over normal bathtubs due to minimal and easy maintenance. It is more hygienic, immensely durable, and scratch-resistant. It is also very easy and takes less time to clean.
Why Is a Solid Surface the Right Material for Bathtubs?
Solid surface is a new material in the bath industry, and it is also long-lasting, keeps you warm, and is stronger but a little expensive. So, the material is the right choice because it gives a luxurious look and has a heat-resistant capacity.
What Shapes and Sizes Are Available in Solid Surface Bathtubs?
It has mouldable properties, so it can be available in different shapes and sizes, so you can choose the bathtub that suits your washroom. Available options include freestanding, drop-in, alcove, oval, rectangular, and square tubs.
Advantages of a Solid Surface Bathtub
Easy to Clean and Hygienic
The materials that are used to make a solid surface bathtub are non-porous and low maintenance, so it is easy to maintain and clean. It is also antimicrobial, so resistant to bacteria. But make sure that the cleaning sponge is clean and sanitized.
Heat Resistant Properties
Most bathtub materials resist heat for about 20-30 minutes, but synthetic material used for solid surface bathtubs makes the tub resist heat and stay warm for longer hours.
It is available in different colors, designs, and patterns, so you can select the bathtub that suits your place. Apart from this, the best feature of the solid surface bathtub is the long-lasting color that does not fade.
Disadvantages of a Solid Surface Bathtub
Manufacturing solid surface bathtubs is expensive. You can expect to pay $2,100 to $25,000 for a good bathtub.
A heavy or lightweight bathtub can depend on the type of materials used. A solid surface tub can weigh 100 lbs. Before buying, be sure of the tub's weight, the quantity of water it supports, and where to put it in your bathroom.
Common Causes of Damage to a Solid Surface Bathtub
- Drain Overtightening
- Site Accident and Concealed Freight Damage
- Thermal Shock
The most common reason for cracks around the drain area is over-tightening the drain during the installation process. If the drain is not closed properly, it can have leakage problems. If you close it too tightly, the chances of your solid surface bathtub breaking is very high. Even in normal bathtubs, it can be an intimidating problem, but you should be even more careful with solid surface bathtubs.
It can either lead to the seal cracking or the bathtub breaking. So make sure not to plug in and tighten or force close the drain too much.
Site Accident and Concealed Freight Damage
This damage happens when you try to change or move the tub from one place to another.
It can be due to the bathtub being moved a lot. It causes chipping, which can happen due to the enamel being worn out.
Solid surface bathtubs can break easily due to thermal shock or mechanical stress that happens when the bathtub is heated or cooled down rapidly. Sudden changes in the temperature, that is, heat or cold, makes the surface of the bathtub contract or expand, which causes cracks on the edges, rim, and drain area.
Solid surface bathtubs are very similar to the elements like glass, natural stone, and ceramics, which has the same characteristics of breaking when there is a sudden and uneven change in the temperature. For example, if you pour ice-cold water into a solid surface bathtub that just had scalding hot water or vice versa, the bathtub will break.
How to Repair Solid Surface Bathtub
Here are a few steps to repair your solid surface bathtub:
The Tools Required to Repair a Solid Surface Bathtub
- White paper towels
- Masking tape
- A flathead screwdriver
- A large jar or container
- An orbital sander with frit P180 &P320 sandpaper
- A dremel rotary tool
- A blanket
- White material solution and hardener
The Procedure for Repairing a Damaged Solid Surface Bathtub
- The position of the bathtub depends on a few factors, such as the size of the tub and the washroom. If you want, you can lay the bathtub down on its side using a moving blanket to make sure that it is safe.
- Take the dremel rotary tool, and cut a V cavity in the lighter scratched areas so that the repair solution can properly bind and fill the cracks.
- After that, clean the area thoroughly with Acetone using white paper towels.
- Once thoroughly cleaned with Acetone, use the masking tape to create a barrier along the damaged area. You must create a little wall by sticking half on the surface and the other half on the wall. This will help protect the area and make it look more like the rest of the surface.
- The next step is you will need to prepare the mixture by adding a 2% hardener to the weight of the mixture. Give it a good mix for at least 1 to 2 minutes to ensure it is well-blended and uniform without any clumps.
- When applying the repair solution, make sure to use a flat-head screwdriver that is sterilized with Acetone. This will help to release the micro air bubbles.
- The damaged area must be filled, so ensure the surface level is reached.
- Check whether the material is filled or needs to be touched up. If so, make the mixture again and follow the same steps.
- It takes 24 hours to set, don’t worry about checking your solid surface bathtub until after the 24 hour mark.
- After 24 hours, use the grit P180 sandpaper to clear the excess material. Next, use the P320 to level up.
How to Fix Chips in Your Solid Surface Bathtub
Fixing the chips, you don’t need professionals with these simple steps. You can do it yourself at home.
- 2 Components of the epoxy chips repair kit
- A sponge
- A tub of cleaner liquid
- A disposable tray and stick
- A spatula or brush
- 400-600 grit sandpaper
Procedure for Repairing a Chipped Solid Surface Bathtub
- To repair a chip, buy two components of an epoxy kit, but make sure the kit comes with a catalyst and hardener. Next, check which color suits your washroom. Most of the kit comes in white shades that closely match your bathtub.
- Before fixing the chips, clean the chipped area in your bathtub using a scrubber, detergents, and cleaning liquids. You can also use Acetone or Alcohol to remove the stains.
- The next step is mixing the components. Some kits come with a mixing tray and stirring stick. If you have that, you can use that to mix the components. Otherwise, you can use the disposable tray and toothpick to mix the components.
- Now, use the spatula to apply the components to the chipped area in one direction by applying it in a thin layer and allowing it to dry.
- Some epoxy components will dry in 2- 3 hours; others will take 24 hours to set, so it is best to follow the package instructions.
- Once the components are fully dried, sand the bathtub's surface with the 400-600 grit sandpaper until it’s smooth like the other surface of the tub.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Rinse the bathtub after every use with warm water
- Use a soft sponge and mild cleaning solution
- Avoid using the acidic solutions or a hard cloth or sponge to clean the solid surface bathtub.
A solid surface is a man-made material composed of marble dust, acrylic, epoxy, resin, and pigments.
With proper cleaning, the reglazed bathtub lasts for three to five months.
We hope this article gives you a piece of sufficient information on how to repair a solid surface bathtub. Fix your favorite luxurious solid surface bathtubs using the above methods. Now no cracks and chips can stop you from taking a soak in your bathtub. Magnus offers a great collection of bathtubs and welcomes you to try out different solid surface bathtubs. You can visit the collection here.