Acrylic Bathtubs – Important Things to Know in 2022!
Do you know which material is the most popular material for a bathtub? That would be copper or resin. People go for these materials since they provide a nice rustic and antique look. Yes, looks are one of the essential factors that need to be considered when choosing a bathtub for your bathroom. But these materials tend to be costlier. The best option is to go with acrylic to get all the best aesthetics and, simultaneously, at a much lower price point. In the upcoming blocks, we will talk about acrylic bathtubs in detail.
Acrylic Bathtubs – What Are They?
People think that acrylic bathtubs are made of acrylic material only. They aren’t. Bathtub manufacturers use vacuum sheets of acrylic, and they tend to reinforce acrylic bathtubs with fiberglass. Because of this, the durability of the bathtub is increased. At the same time, acrylic is incredibly soft and malleable, so you can build your acrylic bathtubs in any shape or form. This is also one of the main reasons why acrylic is popular among interior designers and decorators.
Also, it is essential to note that acrylic is a light-weighted material. You can install acrylic bathtubs at any level in your home. Usually, acrylic bathtubs are resistant to damage and external wear and tear to an extent. In this sector; however, copper material can win the competition since copper can “heal” on its own by coming in contact with air and creating a patina layer on the surface of the copper, which in turn helps to prevent external wear and tear (very minimal) and the formation of rust over the surface. But maintaining a copper tub requires extra steps, which can sometimes be tedious. You don't have to worry about any tedious steps to maintain your bathtub in acrylic bathtubs. Acrylic bathtubs are very easy to maintain without much work.
Pros and Cons of Acrylic Bathtubs:
When it comes to any material, there will always be advantages and disadvantages. That can be said of acrylic bathtubs. Comparatively, we can safely say that acrylic bathtubs have more advantages than disadvantages. Before investing so much money in your bathtub, you should consider all the factors, pros, and cons.
- The price. Compared to other materials, acrylic is considerably cheap.
- Acrylic is a lightweight material. Essentially, acrylic bathtubs are reinforced fiberglass materials with sheets of vacuumed acrylic. This is greatly helpful when installing your tub in the desired place in your bathroom without problems. The base material, reinforced fiberglass, is a crucial factor in the cost of acrylic bathtubs.
- The flexibility. Here flexibility means, with acrylic, you can get bathtubs of various sizes and shapes. The main reason is that the cost of manufacturing an acrylic bathtub is comparatively lower than other materials, such as copper, stone, resins, and wood. Also, treating other materials can be difficult, and you need specialized tools that can cause a lot of resources, such as time and money.
- The nonporous. Acrylic bathtubs are nonporous, which means that they won’t absorb water. After years of usage, absorbent materials like wood tend to warp and damage beyond repair. But with acrylic bathtubs, you don’t have to worry about such things.
- Heat retention. Acrylic is a nonporous material that does not absorb water or the condition of the water. Acrylic can hold hot water for an extended period of time, subsequent to copper.
- The softness. Yes, it was said to be one of the advantages, but sometimes good can also be harmful if it lasts a long time. Acrylic is a soft material that can withstand external wear and tear only to an extent. Still, it is easily susceptible to physical damage compared to other materials, such as stone and copper.
- The last noticeable disadvantage would be discoloration. Aesthetics is critical when buying a bathtub. Discoloration in acrylic bathtubs is irreversible. People tend to change bathtubs before their lifetimes because of it.
How to Maintain Acrylic Bathtubs?
Maintaining acrylic bathtubs is easy, but it requires consistent maintenance since it is very susceptible to discoloration.
Tip 1 – Always dry the tub after use with a soft, damp cloth.
Tip 2 – Use no softener or concentrated cleaning agent to clean the tub. It may damage the surface of the tub.
Tip 3 – If required, you can use vinegar and warm water to clean the tub as a cleaning agent. It does not contain any abrasive materials, and it also helps to control discoloration.
Tip 4 – You can use baking soda along with the vinegar, but be mindful that it may result in you in sediment spots over the surface of the tub. If you want to use baking soda, use a 1:3 ratio, with one baking soda and three vinegar.
Tip 5 – Use light and soft brushes to clean the tub. Do not use harsh brushes since they can cause numerous micro scratches all over the tub's surface. Cleaning the spots with a vinegar mixture and a soft brush should help maintain the tub properly.
You need consistent maintenance for your tub. So, it is better to do a complete cleaning each week.
Best Acrylic Bathtub Online:
Foster Acrylic Freestanding Tub With Insulation:
Foster is the perfect fit for any bathroom. It is compact, and at the same time, it is much more comfortable for a bather of large size. Yes, there are other acrylic tubs in various sizes available online, but this bathtub satisfies all the requirements a person needs. The tub length is 56” (inches), and it is available for up to 71” (extra cost). It is made of 2 vacuumed acrylic with reinforcements. The capacities vary depending on the size of the tub. A 56” tub can hold up to 29 gallons of water, and a 71” can hold above 42 gallons. This bathtub is CUPC-approved, meaning it is a sanitary, safe product. It includes a natural drain that can be matched with any brass finish. Foster is a great starting point for your soaking journey if you are new to the bathtub.
The answer can vary depending on the maintenance factors. But, in general, acrylic bathtubs can last from 10-15 years. With proper maintenance, you may get one or two more years added to the decade life of your bathtub.
You should not use any abrasive agents, which can cause irreversible damage to the surface of your acrylic bathtub. Also, using a harsh brush to clean the tub is not recommended. It can cause scratches over the surface.
Acrylic bathtubs can get damaged because acrylic is a soft material and is susceptible to external damage. It is still resistant to minimal damage due to reinforced fiberglass. It is better to exercise caution and do proper maintenance to get a higher life for your bathtub.
The bathtub experience is something that everyone should get. Washing away your stress after a long day at work, soaking in lukewarm water, and clearing your mind listening to some of the best songs with a drink in your hand is a perfect getaway from life for at least a little while. You need the best bathing tub as a companion to support your experience. Acrylic bathtubs are usually a great place to start and are cheaper. You can choose a variety of shapes and sizes thanks to the acrylic softness properties. Magnus Home products provide a wide range of acrylic bathtubs with necessary accessories to make your bathing experience therapeutic and relaxing.
Leave a comment