Cast Iron Bathtubs - Everything You Need to Know in 2023
If you have ever shopped for a bathtub, you have probably noticed that there are many different types of tubs available on the market. One type of tub that has become increasingly popular in recent years is the cast iron tub.
Cast iron tubs are extremely strong and long-lasting, which is one of the reasons they are so popular. Another reason cast iron tubs are so popular is that they are quite attractive. They are available in several shapes and patterns, and they can bring a touch of elegance to any bathroom.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Purchasing a Cast Iron Bathtub
If you are thinking about getting a cast iron tub, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- They will be incredibly hefty due to their cast iron composition. That means you must ensure that your bathroom is capable of supporting the weight of the tub.
- Cast iron tubs need a bit more care than other types of tubs. They must be seasoned, which means they must be oiled on a regular basis. This will help to keep the tub from rusting and corroding.
- You must get a cast iron tub that is the correct size for your bathroom. Because these tubs come in a range of sizes, you should take measurements of your bathroom before shopping.
- You should be aware that cast iron tubs can be fairly costly. They are unquestionably an investment, so make sure you are willing to make the financial commitment.
If you keep these considerations in mind, you should have no trouble locating the ideal cast iron tub for your bathroom. They are an excellent addition to any house and may significantly improve the appearance of a bathroom.
Types of Cast Iron Bathtubs
There are many types of cast iron bathtubs available on the market. Some of the most popular include:
- Clawfoot tubs: These tubs are the most popular type of cast iron tubs. They are named after their claw-like feet, which give them a vintage look. Clawfoot tubs are usually very deep, so they are perfect for soaking in.
- Pedestal tubs: Pedestal tubs are another popular type of cast iron tub. They are similar to clawfoot tubs in that they have a vintage look, but they are not as deep. Pedestal tubs are perfect for those who want a shallower tub.
- Drop-in tubs: Drop-in tubs are a type of cast iron tub that is installed into a hole in the floor. These tubs are perfect for those who want a deeper tub but do not want a clawfoot tub.
- Corner tubs: Corner tubs are another type of cast iron tub. They are similar to drop-in tubs in that they are installed into a hole in the floor, but they are placed in the corner of the room.
- Alcove tubs: Alcove tubs are similar to pedestal tubs in that they are placed in the corner of the room, but they are not as deep. Alcove tubs are perfect for those who want a shallower tub.
Pros and Cons of Cast Iron Bathtubs
There are a few pros and cons of cast iron bathtubs to consider before making the decision to purchase one:
Pros of Cast Iron Bathtubs:
- They Are Durable
Cast iron tubs are very long-lasting. They are extremely durable and sturdy. They will not crack easily and will keep their look for a lifetime. They are also quite easy to maintain.
- They Keep Water Hot for a Longer Time
Cast iron tubs are quite good at keeping the water warm for a long time. They are quite heavy and the weight helps in retaining heat. This means that you can have a hot bath for a longer time.
- They Have a Timeless Look
Cast iron tubs have a very timeless look. They look quite classic and elegant. They can give a very vintage look to your bathroom.
- They Are Quite Easy to Clean
Cast iron tubs are quite easy to clean. You can clean them quite easily with a soft cloth and mild detergent.
- They Are Slip Resistant
Cast iron tubs are slip-resistant but have a smooth finish and this makes them quite easy to use.
Cons of Cast Iron Bathtubs:
There are a few disadvantages to cast iron bathtubs that are important to consider before making your purchase.
- They Are Heavy
The weight of a cast iron bathtub is significantly more than that of an acrylic or fiberglass bathtub. One of the main factors you need to think about while choosing a bathtub is its weight.
- They Are Expensive
The initial investment for a cast iron bathtub is higher than it is for other types of bathtubs since they're more difficult to produce.
- They Require More Maintenance
Cast iron bathtubs require more maintenance than acrylic or fiberglass bathtubs. You'll need to season your bathtub regularly to prevent rust and you'll need to maintain the finish to prevent it from chipping or fading.
- They Are Difficult to Install
Cast iron bathtubs are heavy and difficult to install. You'll need to hire a professional to install your bathtub if you don't have the necessary tools and equipment.
- They’re Not as Green as Other Types of Bathtubs
Cast iron bathtubs are not as green as other types of bathtubs. They're made from a non-renewable resource, and they're not recyclable.
There are several advantages to owning a cast iron bathtub for your bathroom.
One of the main advantages is the fact that they are extremely durable, and can last for many years. Cast iron bathtubs are luxurious additions to any bathroom. They are not only beautiful, but they are also extremely durable. When properly cared for, a cast iron bathtub can last a lifetime.
If you are looking for a bathroom that looks fantastic, you will definitely want to consider a cast iron bathtub for your bathroom.
Frequently Asked Questions
A cast iron bathtub can weigh anywhere from 100 to 300 pounds.
There are a few different ways that you can clean a cast iron bathtub. One way is to use a mild soap and water solution. Another way is to use vinegar and water solution.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the amount of reinforcement needed will vary, depending on the specific tub and installation. However, some tips on reinforcing a floor for a cast iron bathtub include adding extra support under the tub with lumber or plywood and using concrete screws or nails to secure the tub to the floor.
If your cast iron bathtub has rust stains, you can remove them with a rust remover or a mixture of vinegar and baking soda.